Our Defensive Driver Training (DDT) course is specifically designed by subject matter experts in this field. It offers the client’s organisation enhanced skills to its staff drivers. The majority of accidents in Nigeria happen on the road, it is imperative that drivers have the knowledge to correctly deal with planning, management and delivery of defensive driving and relative procedures in Nigeria and the Sahel Region.
The Defensive Driving plays an important role in the effectiveness and impact of any mission; it is also a chief responsibility that each seconding or contracting actor has vis-à-vis the personnel deployed (“duty of care”). Hazardous environment driver awareness is essential to coping with internal and external security threats that an international or domestic mission can likely face on the ground and is conducive to:
Enhancing the resilience of personnel when working in hazardous environments.
Increasing the understanding of proactive security and basic field measures to be taken before, during and after a mission in a conflict zone.
Providing personnel with the basic tools and techniques needed to avoid potentially dangerous situations or to cope adequately with actual endangering situations in the field.
Students are requested to complete blended learning before course commencement on the following topics:
- First and Last Parade completion.
- Driving Instruction power point.
- Vehicle breakdown Procedure.
- Vehicle checkpoint (CP) / Illegal vehicle checkpoint (IVCP) procedures.
- Vehicle fires.
- Tyre changing drills.
Our course includes modules to ensure that learners are fully aware and trained for the environments they may operate in. Modules consist of:
- Vehicle First and Last Parade.
- Pre-Departure Vehicle Checks, Characteristics, Capability & Vulnerability of the 4×4.
- Route Planning, Navigation & Tracking.
- Communications and Radio protocol.
- Developing Situational Awareness.
- Hazards and Observations.
- Vehicle Breakdown Procedures.
- Vehicle Checkpoints / Illegal Vehicle Checkpoints.
- Vehicle Fires.
- Self-Recovery, basic mechanics and wheel changing drills.
Throughout and at the end of the course, learners are put through a series of driving assessments and scenarios both during the day and at night, that are based on real life situations that have occurred to test the skills learnt during the course. After training, students will be able to confidently be able prepare, plan and deliver procedure based defensive driving skills in a calm and professional manner, thus adding value to themselves, their colleagues and the organisation alike.
The course is taught by former UK police advanced driving instructors
Students who successfully complete this course will be issued with a Horizon West Africa certificate of completion which is valid for three (3) years.